DIY Upcycled Sweater Pet Bed
Shannon King, Charity Director
Looking for a fun and simple craft to keep the kids occupied this summer? This super easy craft lets you upcycle sweaters that you have been meaning to donate and create a cozy pet bed. Don’t have a pet or need another pet bed? No problem! Your local ASPCA, Humane Society, or animal shelter will love to accept your donated creation and so will a lonely doggie or kitty! This is a fantastic and easy service project for your Cub Scouts, Brownies, or youth group.
Here are the materials and tools you may need:
- Old sweater;
- Polyester or cotton fillings;
- A flat pillow;
- Needle (a large plastic needle easy and safer for smaller kids);
Let’s get started!
- Lay your shirt out flat with the arms out. Sew the neck closed with a blanket stitch. *Yarn is best when using a sweater. When finished knot it off and trim any extra thread or yarn.
Blanket stitch how to: http://www.holiday-crafts-and-creations.com/how-to-do-blanket-stitch.html
- Stitch a simple seam from armpit to armpit, across the chest. When finished, knot it off and trim any extra.
- Stuff the arms and upper chest with stuffing / filling.
- Place a flat pillow in the tummy or lower portion of the shirt.
- Close the waist with the same blanket stitch as above. When finished, knot it off and trim any extra.
- Insert one sleeve into the other.
- Stitch the sleeves together. When finished, knot it off and trim any extra.
- Flip the bed over and stitch the bottom of the waist to the sleeves. When finished, knot it off and trim any extra.
That’s it! Now you have a great pet bed that any pet will love!